Sunday, August 21, 2011

Never Going Back to Ok

As I think back to where I was 3 weeks ago, I have to shudder. To see how far I've come in the last 3 weeks is really like night and day to me. I still think sometimes about what would have happened had things not ended then and if I had accepted a job out in Nevada. I still wonder why a person has to be "broken" in a sense to have their life turn in a different direction but I am ok with that. The more days that pass by, the more I am at peace with not knowing and realizing it is all a part of God's plan. I think of the the After's song "never going back to ok" and I think it is fitting that I realize that nothing in this life should be "ok" ... life is meant to be lived with zeal and vigor. Mediocrity and apathy is the destroyer of society. People have certain morals ingrained into them by their parents and previous generations but yet society has created this middle ground of mediocrity and apathy. This apathy and mediocrity are what bring our society down, people who are ok with only doing the minimum required to slide by in life and yet hope for everything. I would beg to say that if you only put in part of anything you will only end up with partial result.
I constantly have discussions with my mother and several friends about how our society and the people of my general seriously lack work ethic. People think that other better things will come along when they do absolutely nothing for them, and maybe they are right to some extent... we have the government to thank for that. I don't understand how people can not show up to work, will steal from their employers, and will not lift a finger to help someone if they don't get paid extra for it. I wonder where the days have gone where people actually take pride in their work and lend a hand to help their fellow man. It is odd for me to be saying this because normally I have a pair of rose colored glasses on but as I am applying for jobs now after completing my MPA I think about the people I'll potentially work with and the type of people I want to work for. I think of the patients I potentially get to minister to and think of the qualities that would make a good PA and a good health care provider to them. I understand its easier for someone who has been through school and has a certain set of of job skills to say all of these nice things when I'm not having to flip burgers at the local drive through. But I will say that I was a nursing assistant and I wiped people's butts all day, gave bed baths and   emptied urinals, took stool samples and had people barf on me and I did my best to be the best nursing assistant I could, even when I knew I was going to PA school. No act, no matter how small or how "gross" should ever be beneath someone. These are acts of love for your fellow man and every fellow man is deserving of love and respect. On thing I always remember my dad saying "I am not here to be served, but to serve." We are here in this world to make it a better place, to spread the Gospel of Christ to as many people as we can and to live a life pleasing to God so that one day when I meet my creator at the gates of heaven He will be able to say "well done my good and faithful servant." The scripture that comes to mind of this is

 "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." 
-Matthew 25:40.


I challenge ya'll, to think of parts of your life where you are not living fully and may think are "ok" but would be too much work to change or be different. Then live it more fully! As in the words of the After's song- "I'm never going back to ok."








+AMDG+

No comments:

Post a Comment