Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Growing into my own skin

As many of you know I've been working towards becoming a Physician Assistant for a long time, even before I started actual PA school. I can't say the road has been easy by any means but now as I come to realize I only have 2 more weeks of school left... where do I go from here? I always imagined becoming a PA would be this climactic point in my life where everything seemed to finally fit and fall into place. I guess i just have to laugh at myself on this one. I have enjoyed every rotation I have been in so far and to tell everyone the honest truth, the one field I thought I wanted to go into was probably my least favorite rotation. I enjoy getting to know my patients and their problems but I think there comes a point where you know you've made a difference in one field and you see so many needs in another for a compassionate health care provider. I also have no job lined up yet, currently have been on one interview and going for a second this week. I feel more accomplished in the sense that at least I look good enough on paper that someone will give me a shot but yet so far away as to actually landing a job. I am just taking each day at a time. One thing I always have to remind myself about job searching is that if you don't pass your boards you can't have a job, so focus on your boards first and then the job.  Just keep on swimming right?

Although I have been becoming more autonomous in my care giving as a student, for the first time I really feel like people depend on me for my care and for my opinion. For instance the NP (nurse practitioner) I work with currently on Wednesdays and Fridays informed me of a patient she had and said "oh I'm so glad you'll be here tomorrow, in case this lady calls with questions about her family member I want someone who knows about them to be able to answer their questions about their new medication in case they don't get it right. I just sat there for a second and realized #1. She was talking to me. #2 She trusted me and was depending on me to follow through with this patient. I realize that I shouldn't be shocked about someone coming to me and seeking my advice or counting on me to really just do my job well but I didn't realize it since it has been coming on so gradually through out PA school.

God really has granted me the grace to handle so many adversities since I have moved out West. Little did I know how different life would be away from home but also how gracious God is to those who seek His will above all else. Living for once in the same state and let alone the same town as Ben has been challenging but very rewarding. I have grown so much personally and I am learning every day to be more humble and charitable in my life. God always has blessings in disguise and don't ever think that He has forgotten you or abandoned you. I constantly think of the song "Praise you in this Storm" by Casting Crowns. If you haven't had the chance to hear it yet, please Youtube it or listen to it on Itunes or something. It really is an inspiration song and one of my absolute favorites.

"Praise be Jesus Christ, Now and Forever. Now and Forever, Praise be Jesus Christ. "

No comments:

Post a Comment